Access to some NHS electronic resources is restricted to certain groups. There is no cost to access these resources, but you do need an OpenAthens ID.
Athens protected resources are available to eligible users within the "NHS Family" from wherever they may be working. The term NHS Family is used to describe staff working for or delivering services on behalf of, or in conjunction with the NHS.
Once a personal account has been set up access to resources is available 24/7 from any internet enabled PC.
Forgotten your password?
If you already have an OpenAthens account but have forgotten your password, you can reset it here provided you know your Athens username and the email address associated with your account.
Alternatively, contact your local NHS library or email a regional Athens help desk for assistance.
To complete the registration process you will need a valid email address. NHS Contact email accounts are acceptable. Contact your local IT department if you require advice about your work email address.
NHS regional Athens administrators group
Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop policies and guidelines to support controlled access to nationally, regionally and locally purchased NHS resources in England.
- Monitor usage and usability of the Access Management system at local, regional and national level with regard to self registration and end user requirements, resource provision, functionality, administration, and collection of statistics.
- Raise suggestions for improvements to systems delivery, to NHS Evidence and the SHALL Information Management and Technology Group (SIMTG).
- Disseminate information received from NHS Evidence, SIMTG, the Content and Collection Development Group (CCDG) and suppliers to local administrators.
- Drive implementation and support changes required by NHS Evidence, SIMTG, CCDG and suppliers at regional and local level.
- Feedback impact of changes for service delivery, local administrators and end users to NHS Evidence, SIMTG, CCDG and suppliers.
- Support the recruitment, training and needs of local, regional and cross sector Athens Administrators.
Chaired by the OpenAthens National Administrator with representation from each Region
|East of England||Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Norfolk, Suffolk||Andy Parrett|
|East Midlands||Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire, Nottinghamshire, Rutland||Sarah Massey|
|North East||Durham, Tees Valley, Northumberland, Tyne and Wear||Linda Mace-Michalik|
|North West||Cheshire, Cumbria, Greater Manchester, Lancashire, Merseyside, Wirral||Anne Roberts|
|South Central||Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Oxfordshire||Sarah Lewis|
|South East Coast||Kent, Surrey, Sussex||Helen Moore|
|South West||Avon, Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire||Helen Wharam|
|West Midlands||Birmingham & Black Country, Coventry, Herefordshire, Shropshire, Staffordshire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire||Bertha Low|
|Yorkshire and the Humber||Humber - including north Lincolnshire and the Ridings, Yorkshire||Sarah Massey|